It's a life experience!
uncw office of
We are located in:
118 Friday Annex
Maike Walbrecht, Director
UNCW ESL Program
Office of International Programs
601 S. College Rd.
Wilmington, NC 28403-5965
ApplicationUpcoming Program Dates and Fees
Transfer TO UNCW: click here to download form
Transfer OUT OF UNCW: click here to download form
Application to ESL Program:
1. Please click here for an online application form. This will be submitted directly to the ESL coordinator. WE PREFER THE ONLINE APPLICATION.
Or click here for the fax-in or mail-in or application form.Print, complete, and fax to (910) 962-4053 or send to the following address:
English as a Second Language
UNCW Office of International Programs
601 South College Road
Wilmington, North Carolina 28403-5965 USA
(You may also scan your documents and email them.)
After submitting online application, continue here:
2. Next, a Financial Statement, found here, should be printed, signed and sent to the above address along with your application. Please make a hard copy of this document, fill it out and sign it, and then fax it to Maike Walbrecht at (910) 962-4053. You may also scan and email your documents to email@example.com.
3. The bank letter must verify that you have the program costs plus 15% for emergencies. It must be a letter directly from your bank with the bank's name (letterhead) on it. The account holder's name must also be clearly stated on it. If you fax or scan it, please keep the original, as we must keep this for your file.
4. If the bank letter is not in the student's name, the sponsor must also write a letter of financial responsibility.
5. Copy of passport: only the page which has the photo, birthdate, and passport number.
6. Finally, include a payment of $100 (Application Fee) with your other documents. The payment may be in the form of a secure Bank Check in US dollars (must be from a US bank such as Citibank) or by credit card: MasterCard or Visa only. If you wish to pay by credit card (MasterCard or VISA only), please download this form. You may use the same email for any other questions you have, or to find out the exact amount of money that must be on your bank letter.
When we have received all items: application, financial statement, bank letter (with letter from sponsor), passport copy, and application fee, we will issue a form I-20 to you and send it to you with Federal Express. You will then pay the SEVIS fee, and take the I-20 to the US Consulate in your country to get your student visa.
- Students must be 18 years old.
- Please allow at least two months for this process.
- Keep all original documents. We must have these for your file. The originals can be sent by secure carrier after you fax or email your documents to us or you may bring them upon arrival.
- All international students must have health insurance.
You may buy insurance in your country, but the conditions must be printed in English on your proof of insurance document. Your insurance package must include medical benefits of at least $50,000 per person per accident or illness; repatriation coverage in the amount of $7,500; and medical evacuation coverage in the amount of $10,000. You must bring a copy of your policy with you.If you need assistance getting a policy, I can assist you when you arrive.(Our policy covers all of these things and costs $83.60 per month and you must pay for full months.)
UNCW ESL Program Tuition Payment Policy
After the first day of classes, all program fees are non-refundable.
Any changes to your program must be made no later than two weeks before the program start date (for example: length of program, housing, meals).
If you are applying for Conditional Admission, you must also complete a UNCW Undergraduate Application. Please go here to find the information and materials:
For Graduate Applications, you will need to go directly to the specific department's site since there are different requirements for each program. UNCW does not offer conditional admission for graduate programs.