International Student Newsletter
February 7, 2013
International Programs Office
International Programs Office
I-Week Activities - Feb 11 - 16
Celebrate the rich diversity found in Wilmington and the UNCW community. Join us for films, performances, workshops, panel discussions and lectures throughout the week. iWeek will culminate with the Intercultural Festival on Saturday February 16th. View the full schedule of events below.
International Student Photo Contest - $100 Grand Prize
We want your photos! The Office of International Programs is sponsoring an
International Student Photo contest. The two categories are
"Student Life" (people) and "Road Trip" (places). Submission
guidelines are listed below:
- Photos must have been taken during your time in the US
- To submit your photos, email them to Amy Mabery. (Your identifying info will be removed before they are submitted to the judges)
- Limit 3 entries per category
- Each entry must include:
- your name
- title of photo
- Deadline - Entries must be submitted by midnight, Sunday,
March 30 (in time for Spring Break photos!)
- Eligibility - the contest is open to all UNCW International
- All entrants grant an irrevocable license to OIP
Travel Signature Needed to Re-enter the U.S.
- As a reminder,
if you plan on exiting the US during Spring Break, to re-enter the US, you will need to have with you:
- Passport, valid at least 6 months into the future
- DS-2019 or I-20, signed for travel within the last 12 months***
- J-1 visa or F-1 visa, unexpired
- Proof of having paid the I-901 SEVIS Fee
- An unofficial transcript (printed off SeaNet/SeaPort) and proof of financial support are not required, but are good to have in case the immigration officer asks to see them
If your DS-2019 or I-20 has not been signed for travel
validation in the past year, you will need to bring it to
International Programs so your international student adviser can
When leaving the US, be sure to give the airline back the I-94 card (the white card that should be stapled to your passport). You’ll get a new one when you re-enter the US.
All international students who received/earned income in the United States during 2012 are required to file a US tax return by April 15, 2013. To help you complete your tax return, International Programs is offering you free tax filing software, a $35 value. To obtain a license to use the tax software, email your international student adviser (F1's email Jen Fernandez-Villa, J1's email Amy Mabery).
Events and Deadlines
Croquet Tournament: A Smashing Good Time!
- What: Croquet tournament
- Why: Its FUN! (and a great opportunity for "action" photos of you and your friends)
- Where: the lawn in front of James Hall
- When: numerous 1 hour time slots are available from Feb 12 - Feb 14
- How do I sign up? Use the Croquet Registration Page to sign up your 2-person team.
Seahawk Adventures - upcoming trips
Are you looking for opportunities to get off campus and explore the natural attractions our area has to offer? If so, be sure to check out the trips planned by the Seahawk Adventures office!
Upcoming trips include:
- Spring Break Whitewater Rafting
- Spring Break Backpacking
- Zip Line Tour
- and many more!