At-A-Glance Exchange Student Pre-Arrival Instructions
- Letter from your International Student Adviser
- Fillable Pre-Arrival Checklist (download and save your own copy)
Request a Host Family
|may25 - until...|
|jul1 - aug10|
|aug1 - aug26|
|aug16 - aug17|
Pay UNCW bills
A 95,000 square foot addition to the Student Recreation Center including a swimming pool opened September 2012.
Purchase or Waive UNCW Health Insurance
All international students are required to demonstrate that they have adequate health insurance that provides coverage in the United States and provides benefits equal to or greater than the following U.S. Department of State requirements.
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per person per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Medical Evacuation coverage in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
Choose the statement below which best describes your insurance status.
- I already have insurance that meets the requirements
- I want to purchase the $438 UNCW international student insurance
- I want to purchase the $864 regular UNCW student insurance
- I think (but I'm not sure) I'm covered by my home uni's health insurance
- I want to ignore the insurance requirement (to save money)
If you already have insurance that that meets the requirements, you must submit proof of your insurance through the UNCW Student Blue insurance portal. If you fail to submit proof of insurance, you will be charged $863.50/semester for the regular UNCW student health insurance.
Choose the statement below that best describes your health insurance.
- My insurance has a U.S. address - waive online
- My insurance has a foreign (non-U.S.) address - waive by email
If your health insurance company has a U.S. address, you will likely be able to waive using the BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina online portal.
Navigate to the BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina insurance for UNCW. To waive, from the top of the page select 'Enrollment & Waiver.' Follow the first link on the middle of the next page titled 'Go to Enrollment or Waiver.' On the next page, you will be asked to register. After you register, you will be able to complete a form to waive UNCW's health insurance.
If declined: It is not uncommon for the online waiver system to reject health insurance information that contains a non-U. S. address. If your non-UNCW health insurance information was rejected, you should Waive by Email.
If you wish to waive the UNCW insurance, but your insurance company does not have a U.S. address, you will need to waive the UNCW insurance by email. The first step is creating your user account in the BCBSNC insurance portal.
First - Create a user account in the BCBSNC insurance portal
(You will need your UNCW email address and your 850 number to do this).
- Go to the insurance website www.bcbsnc.com/uncw
- On the top of the page choose “Enrollment & Waiver”
- Follow the first blue link on the middle page titled 'Go to Enrollment or Waiver.'
- Then you will register
Second - submit proof of insurance and bio information via email.
- Your Name
- Date of Birth
- Student ID Number
- Local Address - UNCW CB# ________
- Local Phone
- Email address
- A copy (usually 1 page) of your proof of insurance in English.
- Usually on insurance company stationary
- Contains the student's name
- indicates start and end date of coverage
As a UNCW international exchange student, you are eligible to purchase HTH International Student Health Insurance provided through the UNCW Office of International Program. The cost for the HTH insurance is $438/semester.
About HTH International Student Health Insurance
- Cost: $438/semester
- Deductible/co-pay per illness: $100
- reduced to $0 if first treatment is at the student health center
- Plan Summary: 2015-2016 Plan Summary
- Request to Enroll: HTH enrollment request form (July 10 deadline)
- Billed to Your UNCW Account: If you choose to purchase the HTH International Student Health Insurance, the semester cost will be billed to your UNCW student account
What happens after I complete the HTH enrollment request form?
- July 10 - Office of International Programs submits the insurance order for all students requesting HTH insurance.
- July 13 (approximately) - Receive your HTH insurance card via your UNCW email address.
- July 13 (approximately) - Your UNCW student account will be charged $438 for the HTH insurance.
- By July 15 deadline - You must follow the instructions under 'I have insurance that meets the requirements' for submitting proof of your HTH insurance.
If you fail to submit proof of health insurance, you will be enrolled and billed for the regular UNCW student health insurance listed below. If you WANT to purchase the regular UNCW student health insurance, follow the instructions Enroll in the Regular UNCW Student Health Insurance - $864/semester below.
About the regular UNCW student health insurance (StudentBlue Insurance)
- Cost: $863.50 per semester
- Plan Summary: 2015-2016 Plan Summary
- Plan Provider: Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC)
- Billed to Your UNCW Account: If you choose to purchase the UNCW health insurance, the insurance premium of $863.50 per semester will be billed to your student account.
Enroll in the Regular UNCW student health insurance - $864/semester
Navigate to the BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina insurance for UNCW. To enroll/purchase the insurance, from the top menu, select “Enrollment & Waiver.” Follow the first blue link on the middle page titled 'Go to Enrollment or Waiver.' On the next page, you will be asked to register. After you register, you will be able to complete a form to enroll in UNCW's health insurance. Use the following answers to make sure you are placed in the “Mandatory” insurance rate:
- Are you eligible to pay the student health center fee? YES
- Are you a state employee? NO
- Are all of your classes distance learning, off-campus, or online? NO
- Are you a graduate student? NO
- Are you an undergraduate student? YES
- Are you taking 6 credits or more? YES
- Are you seeking a degree? YES (yes, at your home university)
CONFIRMATION Page: You may want to send your international student adviser a copy of your confirmation page showing that you enrolled in the UNCW plan (optional). Your adviser will save the confirmation in your permanent file.
As of May 2015, the following UNCW exchange partners provide health insurance for their outbound study abroad students.
|Country||UNCW Exchange Partner|
|Australia||University of Canberra|
|Australia||University of Newcastle|
|Australia||University of Western Sydney|
|Australia||University of Wollongong|
|Japan||Osaka Kyoiku University|
|Multi-Country||ISEP - International Student Exchange Program|
|United Kingdom||Keele University|
|United Kingdom||Southampton University|
|United Kingdom||Swansea University|
|United Kingdom||University of Hertfordshire|
If your university is listed above, make sure you receive proof of health insurance from your university. Once you have proof of insurance, complete the instructions under I already have insurance that meets the requirements.
If you fail to submit proof of health insurance, you will be enrolled and billed for the regular UNCW student health insurance at a cost of $864/semester.
Going without health insurance in the U.S. can be VERY EXPENSIVE!!!
Medical expenses in the US are very expensive compared to most countries since our health system is privatized; an unexpected trip to the hospital for a broken leg can easily cost you tens of thousands of dollars. If your health insurance does not cover these costs, YOU will be responsible for paying the hospital directly.
Also, the U.S. Department of State requires all exchange students on a J1 visa to have adequate health insurance. If you purposefully cancel your health insurance, you can be sent home early for violating your J1 visa status.