At-A-Glance Exchange Student Pre-Arrival Instructions
- Letter from your International Student Adviser
- Fillable Pre-Arrival Checklist (download and save your own copy)
Request a Host Family
|may25 - until...|
|jul1 - aug10|
|aug1 - aug26|
|aug16 - aug17|
Pay UNCW bills
UNCW International students are from over 50 different countries.
Once your application has been processed and you have been admitted to UNCW, your DS-2019 will be mailed to your university study abroad office. Your document DS-2019 is to be used to obtain your J-1 visa and as a travel document for entering the U.S.
- Obtain your U.S. J-1 Exchage Student Visa
- US Visa Interview
- Entering the U.S.
Your first step in making your US exchange student visa appointment is to pay your SEVIS fee. Instructions for paying this fee can be found at http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/.
Complete the online visa application, form DS-160 to apply for a visa. Documents required to complete DS-160 include:
- Travel itinerary (if you already have it)
- Dates of previous travel to the U.S.
- Your SEVIS number as listed on your immigration document DS-2019
For specific instructions, use the U.S Embassy or Consulate website where you will be interviewed. You are applying for a J1 nonimmigrant visa. This process charges a fee.
Estimate the wait time by selecting your Embassy location on the U.S. Visa Wait Times website.
- letter of admission to UNCW
- proof of financial support
- evidence that you have paid the U.S. SEVIS fee.
In addition to the required items above, you may also choose to bring additional documents showing that your stay in U.S. will be TEMPORARY, and that you plan to RETURN HOME at the end of your academic program.
Additional documentation may include:
- Proof of a residence in the home country
- Family business in home country
- Spouse/children staying in home country
- *Note from travel.state.gov - It is impossible to specify the exact form the evidence should take since applicants' circumstances vary greatly
To enter the United States, you will be required to show your J1 Exchange Student Visa along with your UNCW issued DS-2019. Therefore, it is important that you keep your passport and DS-2019 easily accessible and do not pack it in your luggage. When you enter the United States, make sure the port of entry officer stamps your DS-2019 and gives it back to you.
Your J1 exchange student status will allow you to enter the U.S. AS A TOURIST up to 30 days prior to the start date listed on your DS-2019. Tourists are not allowed to work or take classes.
At the end of your J1 exchange program, you are allowed to stay in the U.S. AS A TOURIST up to 30 day past the end date of your DS-2019. Tourists are not allowed to work or take classes.