At-A-Glance Exchange Student Pre-Arrival Instructions
- Letter from your International Student Adviser
- Fillable Pre-Arrival Checklist (download and save your own copy)
Request a Host Family
|may25 - until...|
|jul1 - aug10|
|aug1 - aug26|
|aug16 - aug17|
Pay UNCW bills
Sammy the Seahawk has been UNCW's mascot since 1947.
North Carolina law requires that all students have a complete immunization record on file before attending class. Read below for help completing the UNCW Immunization form.
- UNCW Immunization & Medical History Form
- Submit your immunizations by email for early review
Bring the UNCW Immunization & Medical History form to your doctor and have him/her verify your immunization record and administer any immunizations you may be missing.
Below is a quick guide to the immunization requirements. The full criteria can be found on page 2 of the Immunization & Medical History form.
- Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis: 3 doses in your lifetime, with at least one dose in the past 10 years.
- Polio: If 18 years old or younger, 3 doses in your lifetime. Not required if over the age of 18.
- Measles: 2 doses in your lifetime or proof of immunity. Doses administered before the student has reached 1 year of age cannot be counted.
- Mumps: 2 doses in your lifetime or proof of immunity. Doses administered before the student has reached 1 year of age cannot be counted.
- Rubella: 1 dose in your lifetime or proof of immunity. Doses administered before the student has reached 1 year of age cannot be counted.
- Hepatitis B: 3 doses required if student was born after July 1, 1994. Not required if born on or before July 1, 1994.
- MENINGITIS VACCINE: Please record on the Immunization Record whether you have received the meningococcal vaccine (YES or NO). If yes, please note the month, day and year of the vaccination as well as the type.
- Tuberculosis test results: International students and non-U.S. citizens are required to submit test results less than 1 year old showing they are TB negative. If test results are positive, student must also submit chest x-ray results.
Incoming international exchange students may submit their records to their international student adviser, Amy Mabery. Your international student adviser will notify you of any immunizations you may be missing before sending your records to the UNCW Student Health Center.
If you wish to send your documents directly to the UNCW Student Health Center, you may fax them 910-962-4130. Please let your international student adviser know that your forms were sent directly to the Student Health Center.
Please also keep a copy of the Immunization & Medical History form for your own records and bring it with you to campus. If your original form gets lost, your copy is the only way to prove that you’ve had the necessary immunizations.
If you are missing any of your required immunizations, you may purchase the remaining vaccines at UNCW Student Health Center after you arrive. The UNCW Student Health Center's costs of the vaccinations are listed below (prices current as of June 2014).
- Tetanus vaccines (Tdap or DTP) - $40
- (if you have no record of a tetanus vaccine, you can obtain 1 when you arrive, and 30 days later you can receive a different type of the vaccine)
- MMR - $65
- (if you have no MMRs on your record, you can obtain 1 when you arrive, and 30 days later you can obtain another)
- Meningitis vaccine - $115
- You have the option of either purchasing the vaccine or signing the waiver saying you understand the risks of not being vaccinated against meningitis.
- PPD skin test - $15
- Hepatitis B vaccine - $40
- (if you have no record of Hebatits B vaccines, you can obtain 1 when you arrive, and then obtain the remaining vaccines (3 total) 1 month and 6 months later)