Tax Information

All nonresident aliens (with limited exceptions) who received/earned income in the United States during 2013 are liable for federal and state tax and must file tax reporting forms accordingly. The deadline to file is April 15, 2014.

Filing 1040NR using GLACIER Tax Prep

Glacier Tax Prep iconUNCW International Programs has purchased a limited number of GLACIER Tax Prep Software licenses to assist international students in filing their federal tax returns (form 1040 NR).

  1. Request a tax software code from your international student adivser (Jen Fernandez-Villa for F1 students, Amy Mabery for J1 students)
  2. Use your software code & GLACIER Tax Prep filing instructions (PDF) to complete 1040-NR using GLACIER Tax Prep Software (use the "I HAVE an Access Code" link).
  3. Questions specific to using the Glacier Tax Prep software can be directed to Glacier Tax Prep customer support at

Form 8843

All nonresident aliens are required to submit form 8843 (PDF) even if no income was earned during 2013. This form is a claim for non-residency status.

  1. Complete tax form 8843 (PDF)
  2. Sample form 8843 (PDF)

North Carolina State Taxes - form D-400

All students who lived in North Carolina and completed the 1040NR (using Glacier Tax Prep) should also file North Carolina Taxes.

  1. Complete NC State Tax form D-400
  2. For help completing D-400, see these helpful North Carolina State Income Tax Return instructions from NCSU.


Students should direct all tax-related questions to the IRS. By calling 1-800-829-1040 students can speak with an IRS employee who will walk them through forms and filing instructions. International visitors can also go in person to the local IRS office, located at 3340 Jaeckle Drive, 1st Floor, Wilmington, NC  28403, Phone: 910-254-5198, Hours:  M-F 8:30-4:30. Jaeckle Drive is located off Randall Parkway between Kerr Avenue and Covil Avenue.

The Office of International Programs is not trained or licensed to advise in tax law. You'll need to consult tax professionals for specific tax advice. Taxation falls under the IRS (Department of Treasury). The OIP can only advise on immigration law (i.e., how one's immigration status affects their ability to work and enter/stay in the US) which falls under the Departments of Homeland Security, State and Labor. The OIP can not advise on taxation, payroll deductions, tax treaties or how to file a tax return.

UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  J. Fernandez-Villa [ fernandezvillaj AT uncw DOT edu ]