Visit our "Be Safe" page for additional security information.
It Security Officer:
Campus Box 5908
Information Technology Security
IT Security is charged with safeguarding the confidentiality, integrity and availability of all information processed, stored or transmitted using university electronic resources by:
- Providing comprehensive information security awareness and training.
- Ensuring compliance with all federal, state and local legislation relative to information security.
- Developing, promoting and reviewing UNCW information security policies.
- Conducting frequent information security inspections, audits and assessments.
- Taking proactive measures to counter threats, vulnerabilities and cyber-attacks.
- Reviewing Disaster Recovery/ Business Continuity plans and testing them via drills and exercises.
- Facilitating the ITS change management program.
- Conducting timely investigations and responses to computer security related incidents.
IT Security is responsible for Computer Security Incident Response, including:
- Response to campus security incidents and threats including viruses, worms and other system compromises.
- Assistance with investigations initiated by UNCW police, the university auditor, University Counsel and other internal and external authorities.
Security Services and Technologies:
- Vulnerability Scanning Service - Remote scanning of campus computer systems to detect vulnerabilities.
- Network Monitoring - Watching for anomalous traffic and compromised systems on the campus networks.
- Client Security - Deployment of anti-virus and other security-related desktop system software for campus-wide use.
- Security Consulting - Assessing IT security in both central and college departments and assisting in development of local architectures and solutions.