Emergency Notification by Text Message
Register for EMERGENCY text and voice messaging through mySeaport. View information here.
IT Guidelines & Best Practices for Hurricane/Storm Preparedness
Best practices - Follow at all times
- Store your important files on SAMMY (Faculty and Staff) or TIMMY (Students). These are secure servers that are backed up nightly.
- For less critical data, backup your files onto a CD, DVD, flash drive or other device. This backup should not be stored with your primary machine but an alternate, safe (fireproof/ waterproof) location in the event your office suffers extensive damage.
- Your computer should be plugged into a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) and not just a surge protector. These devices contain a battery that will provide you power for a short period of time and should be used at all times.
In the event of a hurricane/storm
- Check UNCW's Emergency Information Web page or call the Emergency Hotline at 888-657-5751.
- Secure all loose papers and files and remove from your desktop. Consider placing important papers under plastic and locking desk drawers.
- Be sure to follow steps 1 and 2 under Best Practices above to be sure your data is secure.
- Shut your computer down properly and unplug everything including your UPS and other peripherals.
- Put all equipment at least two feet off the floor and as far away from the window as possible.
- Cover and secure all electronic equipment with plastic. Trash bags can be purchased from Business Affairs at 910-962-2046 or 910-962-2045.
After the storm
- When it is safe, return to your office to see if there is any damage.
- If there is visible damage, do not plug in or turn on anything. Contact UNCW Business Affairs - Environmental Health&Safety as well as the Physical Plant 910-962-3100 and ask that someone come to your office to assess the damage.
- If there is no visible damage, you may set your computer back up. If you are a faculty or staff member and need assistance reconnecting your office computer, please contact the Technology Assistance Center (TAC).
- Check the ITS Systems Status & Availability Web page for status of systems.