By Phone: 910/962.3195
What to Bring / Wear | PDF
Cancellation Policy | PDF
Ocean chemystery Brochure
Ocean CheMystery | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at
Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required
(see above link for more details).
• Linens are not provided - bring XL twin sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• What to Bring/Wear | PDF
Ocean CheMystery: Ages 14-17
Must have completed 8th grade and turn 14 by June 1stDiscover the underlying chemical basis for some of the ocean's most mysterious environmental challenges. Why do sharks contain mercury? Why do whales have blisters? Why are corals dissolving? Investigate the analytical techniques that forensic chemists use to solve these kinds of mysteries. Learn how chemicals cycle through our atmosphere, lithosphere and hydrosphere to impact life in the ocean. Explore a variety of coastal habitats while collecting data to monitor the marine environment.
Field excursions include:
- Ocean research cruise with trawl; going to the beach, marsh, Intracoastal waterway, and Greenfield Lake; tours of Center for Marine Science and aquaculture center.
- Interact with UNCW scientists involved in ocean monitoring; experiment in university labs; learn how to use field equipment for sampling and analysis of water and sediments; monitor potential algal blooms; kayaking; boogie board oceanography; shallow water snorkeling.
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday / Monday - Friday|
|8 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. pick-up on Friday is at 12:30 p.m.|
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Location:||UNCW Campus - Commuter drop off at Isaac Bear parking lot|
|Summer 2013 Dates:||
Session 1: June 30 - July 5Session 2: July 21 - 26 New dates for session 2!
|Residential students must arrive on Sunday by 3 p.m. while commuting students join the program Monday at 8 a.m.|
$450, before May 1
$495, after May 1
$725, before May 1
$770, after May 1
If you would like to pay in installments, please check out our Tuition Payment Schedule | PDF. Payment plan payments may be started online by paying deposit. Questions call 910.962.3195.
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To apply for Ocean CheMystery, you must complete the MarineQuest Summer Program Application. See the links below to begin your application process.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the final step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest