Sea Safari Employment
Instructors (2 positions)
Apply Here: Online Job Application
Sea Safari instructors will be the safari guide for our half day 6-7 year old program. On safari you will lead explorers through the different coastal habitats and the vertebrate organisms that call it home. It is critical that instructors for this program are familiar with coastal habitats and have a strong vertebrate zoology background, particularly related to marine species. The program will include field trips to the beach, marsh, fouling station, Center for Marine Science and NC Aquarium.
Note: Throughout the summer we offer single gender camps for children. During those weeks, the instructors from Sea Squirts and Sea Safari will be selected to work with Mermaids (girls) or Sea Dawgs (boys).
Student ages 5 - 7
- Provide “hands-on, feet-wet” instruction for campers age 5-7
- Supervise campers in classroom, in field, and during snack
- Provide first aid to campers
- Behavior management
- General clean up and maintenance of camp
- Must be able to lead and participate in outdoor learning experiences (rain or shine)
- Must have strong oral communication skills to communicate effectively with campers, parents, and staff
- Must demonstrate initiative and leadership qualities
- Must have previous experience and desire to work with young children
- Preference is for candidates who are in a degree program related to the marine sciences. Minimum requirement is one year towards a bachelor’s degree.
- Knowledge of local marine habitats is a plus
- CPR/First Aid is required (must be obtained by June 12, 2016)
- Lifeguard Certification is preferred (may be obtained by June 12, 2016; MarineQuest may attempt to organize an American Red Cross class before staff training begins. Cost would be approximately $250.00. If interested in this option, please contact Erin Moran); however we encourage you to pursue alternate certification options.
Terms of Employment:
- June 13 through August 5, Monday through Friday
- Training during the weeks of June 5 through June 10
- Average work week is 22.5 hours, from 7:45am-12:15pm
- Pay rate starts at $8.50/hr, dependent on qualifications
Employment is subject to a criminal and Homeland Security background check