By Phone: 910/962.3195
What to Bring / Wear | PDF
Cancellation Policy | PDF
TechnOcean | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at
Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required
(see above link for more details).
• Linens are not provided - bring XL twin sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• What to Bring/Wear | PDF
TechnOcean: Ages 14-17
Must have completed 8th grade and turn 14 by May 1st
Coastal and marine technology has come a long way since the maritime days of the past, but how have these changes helped us improve and manage our coastal habitats? Join MarineQuest as we explore the exciting fields of Coastal Environmental Engineering and Marine Technology. Experience first hand how natural and artificial barriers are used to protect coastlines. Learn how scientists use technology to visualize the ocean floor. Discover how man-made islands can be restored into animal oases. And put your "Going Green" skills to the test as you build an ocean energy machine.
Field excursions include:
- Ocean research cruise; emphasis on marine technology. Explore coastal habitats by kayak. Take field trips to the beach, marsh, rocky bottom outcrops, Center for Marine Science, marine technology program and other marine facilities.
- Get real hands-on experience with some of the latest research tools such as Vernier probeware and data collectors, GPS hand-held units and sediment corers. Operate a Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) as you explore ocean technology. Learn how to map the ocean floor and analyze side scan sonar data; do transect sediment analysis while snorkeling; participate in boogie board oceanography; work in teams to build your own energy machine; learn about buoy designs from coastal ocean professionals and then put your building skills to the test as you construct your own water quality data collection system.
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday / Monday - Friday|
|8 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. pick-up on Friday is at 12:30 p.m.|
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Location:||UNCW Campus - Commuter drop off at Isaac Bear parking lot|
|Residential students must arrive on Sunday by 3 p.m. while commuting students join the program Monday at 8 a.m.|
If you would like to pay in installments, please check out our Tuition Payment Schedule | PDF. To set-up a installment payment plan, call our registration office at 910/962.3195.
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To apply for TechnOcean, you must complete the MarineQuest Summer Program Application. See the links below to begin your application process.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the final step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest