Cancellation Policy | PDF
TechnOcean Jr Brochure
TechnOcean Jr | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at
Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required
(see above link for more details).
• Linens are provided - DO NOT bring sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• What to Bring/Wear | PDF
TechnOcean Jr: Ages 10-13
Must have completed 4th grade and turn 10 by June 1st
Join MarineQuest as we explore the exciting fields of marine technology and coastal environmental engineering. Learn how scientists use global satellite positioning (GPS) to track ocean animals and then put your knowledge to the test as you use GPS to track down your own discoveries. Jump aboard the R/V Humpback and travel to an undeveloped barrier island and experience first-hand how natural and artificial barriers are used to protect coastlines. Catch a breeze as you discover how wind can be used as a natural energy source. Ride the waves as you build a wave energy machine and take a dip as you listen to the sounds of the sea with your own homemade hydrophone.
Field excursions include:
- Boat cruise to an undeveloped barrier island; Explore coastal habitats by kayak; Take field trips to the beach, marsh, fouling communities, Center for Marine Science, and other marine locations.
- Learn how scientists track marine animals through satellite global positioning, use GPS tracking to find simulated animal nesting areas, discover the sounds under the sea as you build your own hydrophone, learn how engineers imitate nature in modern designs (Biomimicry), build a wave and wind energy machine. Use waterproof drop cameras to survey the diversity around fouling communities. Participate in boogie board oceanography, shallow water snorkeling and more…
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday / Monday - Friday|
|8 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. p/u on Friday is at 12:30 p.m.|
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Location:||UNCW Campus - Commuter drop off at Isaac Bear parking lot|
|Summer 2014 Dates:||
Session 1: July 6 - 11Session 2: July 27 - Aug 1
|Residential students must arrive on Sunday at 3 p.m. while commuting students join the program Monday at 8 a.m.|
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their teacher recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the final step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest