Coast Trek Employment
Instructors (2 positions)
As a Coast Trek instructor your will help guide our students on a “coastal trek” observing changes over time in our marine ecosystems while using paleobiology techniques to explore various habitats and organisms. Program includes field trips to the beach, marsh, fouling station, coquina outcrop, Cape Fear River, fossil quarry, NOAA weather station, local TV station, Snow’s Cut, Center for Marine Science and a research cruise.
Student ages 10 - 12
- Provide “hands-on, feet-wet” instruction for campers age 10-12
- Supervise campers on land and water (including on boats), in classroom, in the field, and during lunch
- Provide first aid to campers
- General clean up and maintenance of camp
- Transport campers in 15-passenger vans safely
- Help campers maintain aquariums
- Behavior management
- Ensure MarineQuest policies, safety expectations, and staffing ratios are carried out at all times
- Must be able to lead and participate in demanding outdoor learning experiences (rain or shine)
- Must have strong oral communication skills to communicate effectively with campers, parents, and staff
- Must demonstrate initiative and leadership qualities
- Must have previous experience and desire to work with pre-teens and/or teens
- Must have previous knowledge about coastal geology and physical oceanography
- Preference is for candidates who have already completed a bachelors degree in a field of study related to the marine sciences. Minimum requirement is three years towards a bachelor’s degree in a field of study related to the marine sciences.
- Knowledge of local marine habitats, boating and kayaking experience are all a plus
- CPR/First Aid is required (must be obtained by June 14, 2014)
- Lifeguard Certification is preferred (may be obtained by June 14, 2014; MarineQuest may attempt to organize an American Red Cross class before staff training begins. Cost would be approximately $250.00. If interested in this option, please contact Sue Kezios); however we encourage you to pursue alternate certification options.
Terms of Employment:
- June 16 through August 1, Monday through Friday (possible one week extension dependent on camp attendance)
- Training during the weeks of June 6 through June 13
- Average work week is 40 hours from 7:45am-4:15pm Monday-Thursday, and 7:45am-1:45pm Friday.
- Pay rate starts at $8.50/hr, dependent on qualifications
- Employment is subject to a criminal and Homeland Security background check
To apply please visit the online application and click on "search positions" then click on "search" (leave all fields blank) then click on "MarineQuest Summer Camp Instructor/Counselor" to submit an application for the position(s) you are applying for.