By Phone: 910/962.3195
What to Bring / Wear | PDF
Cancellation Policy | PDF
PADI Medical Statement | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at
Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required
(see above link for more details).
• Linens are not provided - bring XL twin sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• What to Bring/Wear | PDF
MarineQuest Jr. Scientific Diver: Ages 15-17
Must have completed 9th grade and be 15 by June 1st. May not turn 18 before September 1st. Due to PADI depth regulations, no participant under the age of 15 can be permitted to participate in this program.
Prerequisite: (1) Students must have an open water dive certification from a nationally recognized organization prior to starting this program. (2) All students must have Divers Alert Network (DAN) insurance or equivalent coverage. (3) Ability to pass PADI swim test, including 10 minute float or tread in deep water and un-timed 200 meter/yard continuous surface swim.
Connect with the ocean like never before while you develop diving skills that will have you well on your way towards becoming a scientific scuba diver. Serious marine enthusiasts will learn about, and work towards, becoming future scientific divers. Enjoy diving places that SCUBA diving magazine has called a “world-class collection of wrecks” while you develop skills necessary to achieve this diving status. Obtain various applicable certifications and be halfway towards the minimum number of dives required to become a scientific diver at many professional organizations. You will leave the MarineQuest Junior Scientific Diver program with an arsenal of new skills and abilities applicable to scientific diving as well as the knowledge and training needed to be a better, safer, well-educated diver, and so much more!
Field excursions include:
- Dive beautiful shipwrecks including the Stone Tug, Pocahontas Tug, Markham, the infamous Hyde Dredge, and John Gill; Trips to various local marine habitats including salt marshes, beaches, protected estuary reserves; the UNCW Center for Marine Science; Fort Fisher Aquarium, and more….
- Enjoy TEN dives with an amazing 1:4 student to dive master / instructor ratio providing personal attention and training tips; earn a PADI MarineQuest diver distinctive specialty certification, PADI nitrox diver certification, and DAN oxygen first aid for scuba diving injuries certification; interact with professional dive instructors as they work with you develop and refine skills most applicable to a scientific diver; participate in an underwater fish count for the REEF volunteer survey project; meet and learn from UNCW’s dive safety officer; kayak through the estuary; and more…
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday - Wednesday (11-day program)|
|Wednesday pick-up is at 1:00 p.m.|
Staff / Child Ratio:
|Scuba Diving Ratio:||1:4|
|Summer 2013 Dates:||
Session 1: July 28 - Aug 7
(includes $1100 dive fee)
$2295, before May 1; $2440, after May 1
* Tuition includes PADI MarineQuest diver distinctive specialty certification, PADI nitrox diver certification, DAN oxygen first aid for scuba diving injuries certification, as well as scuba equipment, wetsuit rental fees plus additional dives.
** Students will be responsible for bringing mask, snorkel and fins (may be purchased at program for a discounted rate through local dive shop ~ $175 package)
If you would like to pay in installments, please check out our Tuition Payment Schedule | PDF. Payment plan payments may be started online by paying deposit. Questions call 910.962.3195.
You must register by 5:00pm the Tuesday before your program is to begin.
To apply for MQ Jr. Scientific Diver, you must complete the MarineQuest Summer Program Application. See the links below to begin your application process.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the final step in the registration process.