2016 Application Form (coming fall 2015)
Cancellation Policy | PDF
Ocean Lab Brochure
Ocean Lab | PDF
The MarineQuest staff is more than happy to pick-up and drop-off students at
Wilmington International Airport at no cost. An airline request form is required
(see above link for more details).
• Linens are provided - DO NOT bring sheets, pillows, and blankets.
• Laundry facilities are available at no cost - bring detergent
• No electronic equipment (other than cell phones) is allowed.
• You will receive a Welcome Packet with detailed information on what to bring after registering.
Ocean Lab: Ages 13 -14
Must have completed 7th grade and turn 13 by June 1st
Spend a week at Ocean Lab immersing yourself in the fantastic field of marine biology. Explore the biodiversity of the ocean, from the tiniest microbes to the largest whale, and discover some of the key species inhabiting our coastal waters, including sharks, sea turtles, whales and local fishes. Learn about conservation efforts focused on key species. Investigate the important role that ocean chemistry, geology and physics play in supporting marine life while conducting field studies in that great big outdoor lab we call an ocean.
Field excursions include:
- Going to the beach, salt marsh, fouling station, estuary, ocean research cruise, Masonboro Island, Sea Turtle Hospital, and Center for Marine Science, and other marine facilities.
- Research cruise; comparative fish, arthropod, mollusk, and echinoderm dissections; kayaking; boogie board oceanography; shallow water snorkeling; marsh seining; take core samples for benthic invertebrate analysis; analyze water samples; tour sea turtle hospital; explore rocky outcrops
Program Dates and Tuition
Day of Week:
|Sunday / Monday - Friday|
|8:00 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Friday pick up/final presentation at 12:30 p.m.
|Residential students must arrive on Sunday at 3:00 p.m. while commuting students join the program Monday at 8:00 a.m.|
Staff / Student Ratio:
|Summer 2016 Dates:||
You must register by 5:00 p.m. the Wednesday before your program is to begin.
To complete the teacher recommendation, please have your teacher click here to submit their recommendation.
Please Note: A completed application does not register you for your program. All applications will first be reviewed by the MarineQuest Staff and upon acceptance, you will receive an e-mail explaining the next step in the registration process.
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ page.
• Note that prices, content, dates, and times are subject to change without notice.
• Questions? Call 910.962.2640 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Website and program content © UNCW MarineQuest