Core Courses: 18 credit hours designed to provide the basic skills needed by managers and policy analysts working in public and nonprofit organizations.
- PLS 500 - Managing Public and Nonprofit Organizations (3)
- PLS 501 - Quantitative Methods (3)
- PLS 502 - Public Human Resources Development and Administration (3)
- PLS 503 - Public Budgeting and Finance Administration (3)
- PLS 505 - Policy Analysis (3)
- PLS 595 - Capstone Seminar in Public Administration (3)
Internship/Practicum: 3 credit hour internship or practicum.
- PLS 594 - Practicum in Public Administration (3-6)
- PLS 598 - Intership in Public Administration (3-6)
A waiver to the internship requirement may be granted when the student can demonstrate a minimum of five years of significant management or policy-related professional experience or completes a comparable experience that the MPA director determines is a suitable replacement for the requirement. Requests for a waiver must be made in writing and be approved by the MPA director. If the internship requirement is waived, the student is only required to complete 39 credit hours in order to graduate. The internship waiver can be found on the Student page under Internship Forms on the right.
Applied Skill-Based Elective: 3 credit hours. For the complete list of applied skill-based electives, please see the academic catalogue. Students should consult their advior to select the appropriate course.
Concentration: 12 credit hours. All students are required to pursue a concentration in one of the following areas:
- Coastal Management
- Environmental Policy and Management
- Marine Policy
- Nonprofit Management
- Public Management
- Public Policy Analysis
- Urban and Regional Policy and Planning