University Planning and Quality Council
February 26, 2008
Members Present: Provost Paul Hosier, Ms. Pat Leonard, Mr. Bobby Miller (for Dr. Debra Saunders-White), Dr. David Cordle, Dr. Cathy Barlow, Dr. Robert Roer, Dr. Steve McFarland, Dr. John Fischetti, Mr. William Fleming, Mr. Bob Russell, Ms. Megan Jelley (for Mr. Daniel Thorpe), Ms. Tammy McKenzie and Dr. Kenneth Spackman.
Others Attending: Ms. Sharon Boyd, Ms. Lisa Castellino, Dr. Terry Curran and Dr. Nathan Lindsay.
Provost Hosier called the meeting to order at 2:00 pm.
The minutes of the January 22 meeting were approved as posted on the Web.
Dr. Spackman presented the annual Progress Measure Report (current progress reports are posted on the Web at http://www.uncw.edu/planning/docs.html), a visualization of trends and peer comparisons of the indicators related to UNCW’s ten progress measure targets. Here are the highlights of changes in the last year:
- Student-faculty ratio improved from 17.7 – 1 to 16.7 – 1
- Student-staff ratio improved from 9.9 – 1 to 9.6 – 1
- Percentage of minority students rose from 10.1% to 10.6%
- African-American six-year graduation rate increased from 53.0% to 64.4%
- Freshman retention rate rose from 83.1% to 84.4%
- Four-year graduation rate was essentially unchanged at just over 44%
- Six year graduation rate was essentially unchanged at 65%
- Percentage of undergraduates housed on campus rose from 26.7% to 32.4%
- Average faculty salary increased from $65408 to $68215
- Research expenditures increased from $13.6 million to $17.1 million
- International students rose from 91 to 132
- Students studying abroad increased from 314 to 468
- Endowment increased from $40 million to $50.8 million
- Total merit awards from endowment increased from $709,543 to $947,410
- Undergraduates receiving merit awards increased from 357 to 429
- Alumni giving rate remained unchanged at 13.1%
Dr. Spackman gave a brief overview of the purpose, history and process of the UNC Tomorrow initiative, and described the structure and timetable for our campus’ Phase I response. For details, see http://www.uncw.edu/tomorrow/.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:25 pm.
Future Meetings (At 2:00-3:30 pm in AL 215)
March 25, 2008
April 22, 2008
May 6, 2008