Dr. Mark Galizio, Professor
Ph.D. University of
My research interests are in psychopharmacology and the experimental analysis of behavior.
My students and I are currently working on a project investigating the effects of abused drugs such as MDMA (ecstasy), methamphetamine and methylphenidate (Ritalin) on learning and memory in rats. We use some of the same behavioral procedures to try to determine whether some experimental compounds might be able to enhance learning and memory processes. Currently we are exploring whether drugs that act on various sub-receptors of GABA and acetylcholine systems of the brain might act as “cognitive enhancers”.
I also have interests in the field of comparative cognition: seeking the roots of human conceptual behavior in non-humans. Graduate and undergraduate students are active collaborators in all of my research.
For more information about my research and for my class web pages please visit my web site at: http://people.uncw.edu/galizio/galizio.htm.
- Maisto, S. A, Galizio, M. & Connors, G. J (2015) Drug Use and Abuse. 7th Ed. Wadsworth, Cengage Learning Press.
- Hawkey, A., April, B. L. & Galizio, M. (2014). Effects of MDMA on olfactory memory and reversal learning in rats.Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 114, 209-216.
- Branch, C. L., Galizio, M. & Bruce, K. (2014) What-Where-When memory in the rodent odor span task. Learning and Motivation, 47, 18-29.
- Galizio, M., Byrd, B. D., Robinson, A. M., Hawkey, A., Rayburn-Reeves, R.& April, L. B. (2014), Repeated acquisition in the Morris Swim Task: Effects of MDMA, methamphetamine and methylphenidate. Psychological Record, 64, 143-150.
- April, L. B., Bruce, K. & Galizio, M. (2013) The magic number 70 (plus or minus 20): Variables determining performance in the rodent odor span task. Learning and Motivation, 44, 143-158
- Galizio, M., Deal, M., Hawkey, A. & April, L. B. (2013) Working memory in the odor span task: effects of chlordiazepoxide, dizocilpine, morphine and scopolamine. Psychopharmacology, 225, 397-406.
- MacQueen, D. A, Bullard, L. & Galizio, M. (2011). Effects of dizocilpine (MK801) on olfactory span in rats. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 95, 57-63.