Instructions for Major Declarations and Curricular Updates
Effective spring 2012, the University adopted a policy to suspend curriculum changes during key advising points in the semester. This applies to changes/additions of catalog year, major, minor and/or concentrations. No opportunities for change will be allowed during the time periods listed below.
The dates for suspending these changes are:
- Spring – March 1st through the 10th day of pre-registration in April
- Fall – October 1st through the 10th day of pre-registration in November
For Fall 2013, this will be October 1st 2013 thru Nov 15th 2013-
Opening Saturday, Nov 16th 2013
This policy changed to allow your advisors to adequately prepare for advising you under your current curriculum. Please discuss possible changes with your advisor, prior to these dates.
University College Major Declarations
Students outside of University College are allowed to change their curriculum online. You must be in good academic standing in order to use the online Major Declaration/Curricular Update Application.
- 1. Consult with your advisor and run a “What-If Degree Audit” prior to using the online Change/Declare Major application
- 2. It’s important to know which college or school you are in; the degree you are pursuing; and the catalog year you are studying under.
Prior to fall 2011, you would follow the basic studies curriculum.
Beginning fall 2011, you will follow the university studies curriculum.
Discuss the implications of both with your advisor.
- 3. Submit a request to update your major. The request form is available in mySeaport. The link for the Major Declaration/Curricular Updates application is on the Academics tab, under the Student Services header.
The online Major Declaration/Curricular Update Application
can be used to add and/or update catalog years,
degrees, majors, minors, concentrations,
and university study clusters.
You may also use this application to add a
second degree, major, minor, and/or concentration.
- 4. Once submitted, the request will be forwarded to the appropriate departments, for approval.
- 5. Students and advisors will be kept informed via email, throughout the approval process.
- 6. The department's approval (or denial) will be sent to the Office of the Registrar, with a copy to the student.
New Students, Transfer Students & New Re-Enrolling Students
Students are required to select a major or a pre-major at the time of admission to UNC Wilmington. Advising is done within the chosen field at orientation. Some transfer students may be assigned to University College until they have met the requirements for their major of choice. Students who have been accepted to UNC Wilmington, but have not registered, must fill out a major change form with the Office of Admissions or contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org.