Requesting a Transcript
You can submit your transcript request in several ways:
If you attended UNCW since 1985:
For fastest service, make your request through SeaNet. This is the recommended method for any student who attended UNCW since 1985. If you no longer have your login information, you can retrieve it from a secure ID and PIN site. If you make your request through SeaNet, you will have additional payment options (American Express and Discover, in addition to Visa and Mastercard). You will also be able to request express shipping. After logging into SeaNet follow the Student Services – Student Records menu to the Request an Official Transcript page. An additional $2.25 is charged for this service, but the service avoids a trip to the UNCW campus and mailing time. Making your request through SeaNet will also allow you to request express mailing of a paper transcript for an additional charge of $20 ($30 for international). Transcripts requested through SeaNet are typically sent the same day. Delivery time of paper transcripts sent by the US Postal Services will also include mailing time.
If you prefer to make your request in person, you can visit the Office of the Registrar. We are located in James Hall. A picture ID is required. If you want to authorize someone other than you to request or pick up a transcript during business hours, a signed note from you granting that permission must be presented and your representative must present a picture ID. If we have a copy of your signature on file from a form such as FERPA, we can use that to verify your signature. If we do not have a copy of your signature on file, please include a photocopy of your driver's license to allow us to verify your signature. Transcripts requested in person are typically sent the next business day. Delivery time of paper transcripts sent by the US Postal Services will also include mailing time.
UNCW Summer Hours
Monday, May 13th - Friday, August 9th
Front Counter Hours of Operation during this time:
8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
8:00am – 11:30 a.m on Fridays
Finally, you can mail your request. Transcripts requested by mail are typically sent the next business day. Delivery time of paper transcripts sent by the US Postal Service will also include mailing time. You should send a signed transcript request form and your check or money order (do not send cash) to:
Office of the Registrar
601 South College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403-5618
Transcript Request Form
- If you attended UNCW before 1985 (and not since), you will not be able to sign into SeaNet. However, you may submit your request directly with Transcripts-on-Demand and still request electronic processing or overnight mailing, as described above. You will be asked to complete a consent form and fax or email it into Transcripts-on-Demand and this might add a day or two to the request turnaround time.
If you prefer to make your request in person, you can visit the Office of the Registrar, as described above.
- Finally, you can mail a signed transcript request form, as described above Transcript Request Form
Turn-around time for transcripts requested through the mail is typically five to seven business days, plus mailing time.
We do not accept transcript requests by fax. The handing of the credit card numbers is not secure and leaves us out of Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance. Requests received by fax will not be processed.
We can provide official transcripts in these formats:
- Electronic (secure PDF) format delivered to any email address or to any school on the eScrip-Safe Network. We can produce PDF transcripts faster than paper transcripts and sending a PDF transcript eliminates mailing time. (Check the list to see if your recipient is a PDF receiver.)
- Paper format printed on security paper delivered by USPS. Express mailing is also available for additional charges ($20.00 for Express Mail plus $2.25 for the Transcripts-on-Demand fee). The Transcripts-on-Demand service is described below.
- Paper format printed on security paper to be picked up in person (or an authorized person) at the Office of the Registrar during business hours. (If someone other than you is authorized to pick up the transcript, a note with your signature granting that permission must be presented.)
(All payments must be in US dollars. The University cannot accept foreign currency or checks)
The charge for each transcript is $5.00. Additional charges might apply for the Transcript-on-Demand service ($2.25) or for express mailing ($20 within the USA; $30 for international), as described above.
- If requesting through Transcripts-on-Demand (first and second options above), payment may be by VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover.
- If requesting in person (third option above), payment may be cash, check or money order (made payable to UNCW), debit, VISA, MasterCard, or Seahawk Buck$ on your UNCW ID card.
- If requesting by mail (fourth option above), payment may be check or money order (made payable to UNCW).
Methods for Receiving Transcripts
- Fastest - Electronic delivery to recipient's email address
- First Class Mail through the United States Postal Services
- Express mail through Transcripts-on-Demand
- Pick-up in the Office of the Registrar during business hours (with picture ID)
Typical Turnaround Time
The time it takes from your request until your recipient receives your transcript varies because of many factors. The most significant factor is mailing time. Making your request through Transcripts-on-Demand or in person will eliminate the mailing time for your request to reach us. Sending an electronic transcript rather than mailing a paper transcript will eliminate mailing time for the receiver.
You can check on the status of your transcript request by going to the “View Status of Transcript Requests” page in SeaNet. That page will show the date your request was completed or if your request is still in process. Here is what to expect in terms of turnaround time:
- Electronic transcripts requests through Transcripts-on-Demand, usually reach their destination the same day you make the request.
- Paper transcripts requested through SeaNet or Transcripts-on-Demand usually take one or two business days to process, not including mailing time.
- Paper transcripts requested through the mail usually take five to seven business days to process, not including mailing time.
- In-person request for transcripts to be picked up can be produced while you wait.
Please note that turnaround times may increase during the end of each semester, because of increased volume. Be aware that final grades are posted on transcripts about one week after a term ends and degrees are posted about one month after a term ends. Please be sure to indicate in the request if you have a deadline by which the transcript must be received.
Other Important Information
Holds: If you have a ‘hold’ on your account, a transcript may not be processed. You can check for any holds through SeaNet. Holds include but are not limited to:
- Financial obligation to the University
- Failure to complete an exit interview for Student/Perkins Loan borrowers
- Default of institutional, state, or federal loan
Notary Services: Notary services for UNCW transcripts can usually be provided upon request during business hours. The service should be requested at the time of the transcript [or replacement diploma] request
For more information about notary, apostille, and true-copy authentication documents, please refer to the following websites:
- NC Department of the Secretary of State: Notary Services
- NC Department of the Secretary of State: Apostille Certificates
- NC Department of the Secretary of State: Authentication Certificates