2015 Orientation Leaders
The goal of an Orientation Leader is to convey important information about UNCW and assist new students and their families with the transition into UNCW. Orientation Leaders ensure that the Orientation Program is beneficial, exciting, and educational in its content and presentation.
Thursday, Oct. 9 & Thursday, Oct. 23
Azalea Coast Room (Fisher University Union 2001)
*You are not required to attend an info session in order to apply.
- Must have a willingness to reach out to new students
- Must return full time in fall 2015
- Must have at least a 2.5 GPA and be in good disciplinary standing
- Must have an open mind and a positive attitude
- Must be dedicated to the Orientation Team
- Must be a role model
- Must be able to work with a diverse group of people
- Participating in all Orientation events and training sessions
- Facilitating the adjustment of new students and their parents to our campus and community
- Explaining academic opportunities and procedures
- Acquainting new students with the campus services and building locations
- Preparing orientation materials (stuffing packets, making name tags, etc.)
- Aiding in the development of class schedules
- Responding to questions, concerns, and sensitive issues of students and parents
- Must work either May 13-14 or August 12-13 Transfer Orientation
- June Transfer Orientation Session - June 17
- Freshman Orientation Sessions (Sundays - Thursdays)
- May 31 - June 4
- June 7-11
- June 14-16
- Training Day - December 4, 2014, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday Meetings - every week from January 14 - April 29, 2015, 5-7pm
- Retreat - January 16 (after class) - January 18
- SROW Preparations - February 7, 8, 21, and 22
- SROW Conference - March 26 (evening)-29
- Training - May 22-30
There are many benefits for students who pursue an Orientation Leader position. Most importantly, OL’s gain significant leadership experiences, develop professional relationships with faculty, staff, and students, and acquire effective communication skills. OL's will receive $1,500 plus all expenses paid to SROW in Murray, KY, lodging from May 22 through June 18, meals during Orientation, a T-Shirt, a Jacket and 2 OL polo shirts.
Khaki pants or shorts must be purchased by the OL.
- Applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5 p.m. on Wednesday, November 5, 2014.
- You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application with directions on how to sign up for a 2-night group interview session on either November 9 & 16 or November 12 & 19.
- You must sign up for your group interview by 5 p.m. on Thursday, November 6, 2014. Interview spots are on a first-come, first-served basis.
For additional information come by Transition Programs in Fisher University Union 2017 or
call Transition Programs at (910) 962-3089.