Student Affairs Goals & ULC Objectives
Below you will find the Division of Student Affairs Goals and the objectives for the University Learning Center derived from those Goals.
Foster the UNCW Experience - a welcoming, connected, supportive, safe, and celebrative campus culture where involvement is paramount.
- Provide a non-judgmental and non-authoritative environment to develop academic skills and knowledge
- Provide peer role-models of academic success
- Provide tutors who collaborate in the learning process of their peers
- Celebrate success of peer tutors
Develop students’ knowledge, skills, and abilities to prepare them to serve society and address the challenges of their careers.
- Nurture the development of academic knowledge and transferable skills
- Engage tutees in effective peer collaboration
Engage students in applied learning to enhance their personal and intellectual development.
- Provide practical opportunity for peer tutors to apply their knowledge and skills in a collaborative learning environment
- Provide a training experience that enhances peer tutors’ professional and intellectual development
Advocate for the needs of a diverse student body.
- Provide academic support for all UNCW students
Commit to the development of a just campus community through education and discourse about leadership, diversity, civic engagement, sustainability, and global awareness.
- Ethically apply the Academic Honor Code
- Ensure tutor awareness of diverse student identities on our campus.
Provide high quality, well-maintained, and accessible facilities which support student success.
- Ensure that our facilities are accessible to all students
- Track student usage to ensure space is used efficiently
Make decisions that are data-supported, creative, efficient and enhanced by emerging technologies.
- Base assessment of our services on theory and practice in the field of academic support
Improve our communication efforts with all constituents.
- Routinely communicate with academic departments and UNCW staff (i.e. advisors) about our services
- Utilize opportunities we can staff to communicate about our services to students
Provide quality programs and services that effectively meet the primary mission of each department.
- Provide academic support services in the form of peer collaborative learning
- Provide a student-centered, non-traditional learning experience for students