A. The Observation Process:
- You will observe 2 different sessions with veteran tutors.
- The LS Coordinator will set up days/times for you to observe these sessions.
- If the session you are to observe gets cancelled, the ULC Front Desk will make every effort to inform you.
- Arrive 5 minutes before the start of your observation.
- Let the ULC Front Desk Staff know you are to attend an observation and give the name of the veteran tutor.
- Make sure that the tutor asks the tutee for permission for you to observe.
- In the tutoring room, try to sit behind the tutee in order to minimize disruption.
- Remember that the content of the session is less important than your understanding of the tutor/tuee interaction and how a tutor manages the session.
- Take notes during the session.
- Do not offer suggestions/critiques or attempt to contribute to the tutor/tutee interactions.
- Realize that you were not present for the previous sessions and that you and the tutor may have different experiences with the subject and topics.
- If time at the end of the session, discuss the session with the tutor.
- Come to the LS Coordinator's office to discuss the session.