Apply to the BFA
Students may declare a major in Pre-Creative Writing at any point upon completing at least 24 hours of college credits.
Admission to the full Creative Writing major comes through application only.
Application deadlines: January 31 and September 15, no later than 5 p.m.
(If those dates fall on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will be the first class day immediately afterward.) Late applications will not be accepted. Deliver one paper copy of your application to the office of the Bachelor of Fine Arts Program Coordinator, Suite 1102, Kenan Hall, UNCW.
The major application consists of four parts:
1. Completion of at least 24 hours of college credits.
2. Completion of one of these introductory courses with a minimum grade of B
- CRW 207: Introduction to Fiction Writing
- CRW 208: Introduction to Poetry Writing
- CRW 209: Introduction to Creative Nonfiction Writing
3. Submission of the BFA Application for Admission (The application is not available in the main office of the Department of Creative Writing).
4. Submission of creative work for review by faculty members. The work must consist of 8-15 pages of fiction or creative nonfiction (typed, double spaced) or 6-10 pages of poetry (typed, single spaced). Students must apply in the writing genre of the completed course. (Example: Students who complete CRW 207 may not apply in poetry or creative nonfiction until they complete a course in those genres.) Students may not mix genres in the major application.
Once accepted to the Creative Writing major, students’ status will change from Pre-CRW to CRW. They then must complete the full sequence of courses in the genre of application: writing workshops at the 200 level, 300 level, and 400 level.
After completion of those courses, students take CRW 496: Senior Seminar in the final semester, and they write a thesis in the genre in which they applied and were admitted to the major. Students may not take the 400-level workshop and CRW 496 in the same semester.
Submit applications and questions to:
Tim Bass, BFA Program Coordinator
Suite 1102, Kenan Hall
Department of Creative Writing
University of North Carolina at Wilmington
601 South College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403-5938