MFA, San Francisco State University, 2013
MA, University of Colorado-Boulder, 1994
MA, Yale University, 1992
BA, Grinnell College, 1989
Short Stories, Essays, Anthologies
Her short stories and nonfiction prose have appeared in numerous publications, including the North American Review, ZYZZYVA, Missouri Review, Seventeen, Many Mountains Moving, Christian Science Monitor, Dallas Morning News, Jakarta Post Weekender, Southwest Magazine, the Bedford Introduction to Literature, and At Our Core: Women Writing on Power.
Honors and Awards
- National Endowment for the Arts fellowship
- Kiriyama Prize 2008 Notable Book for Hapa Girl: A Memoir
- Honorable Mention for the 2007 Gustavus Myers Center for the Study of Bigotry and Human Rights Award for Hapa Girl: A Memoir
- Nomination for the National Book Award in nonfiction for The Girl from Purple Mountain
- Most recently, her essay "The Blue Boot" was cited as a Notable Essay of 2012 in Best American Essays 2013, edited by Cheryl Strayed.
Online interviews, blog, websites, etc.