UNCW Engineering Expectations is pleased to be a partner with The Engineering Place at NC State's College of Engineering.
Engineering & Robotics
Engineering Expectations Invites You to Engage Your Mind!
Engineering Expectations is designed to hook kids on engineering by engaging them in creative thinking and out-of-the-box problem solving. Our programs are project driven and highlight the engineering design process. We offer summer camps that explore different engineering disciplines, including aerospace, chemical, civil, and mechanical. If you aren't sure which discipline is for you, then try Engineering Explorations. We also offer novel programs such as biomimicry that feature nature as an engineer. We even provide young people with an opportunity to engineer history by recreating some of the amazing designs of man’s past. If the future is more to your liking, we also offer robotics. And we have an engineering leadership academy for girls. Once summer is over you can continue engineering with us on Saturdays.
Saturday programs for Fall Semester:
Join us for a Saturday filled with engineering excitement. Programs will be held in the Social & Behavioral Sciences Building, room 107. Please see grid 5C/D on the campus map. Parking is in visitors lot M grid 5E.
Engineering Explorations (ages 6-7)
- September 7- The Three Little Pigs: Help! The big, bad wolf is huffing and puffing again. The three little pigs need you to engineer a wind capturing device that will save their house.
- October 5- The Three Billy Goats Gruff: Help! The troll needs to get his beauty rest. He needs you to engineer a bridge that is strong enough and quiet enough for a billy goat to cross without making any noise.
- November 2- Jack-n-the-Beanstalk: Help! Jack needs you to engineer a beanstalk tall enough to reach the giant’s castle so that he can climb it and invite the goose that laid the golden egg to Thanksgiving dinner.
- December 7- Goldilocks and the Three Bears: Help! It’s almost time to hibernate and baby bear needs you to engineer a bed that is just right for a winter’s sleep.
$17 each session | $65 for series
Engineering Expectations (ages 8-9 & 10-12)
- September 21- Join your fellow engineers as you design and build a labor saving device for picking up fall leaves. Learn how useful levers can be.
- October 19- Engineer an elevator for our UNCW Haunted Clock Tower.
Join your fellow engineers as you design and build an elevator for UNCW's Haunted Clock Tower. Learn about pulleys and counterweights.
- November 16-Engineer a flotation device to help your turkey make it to America in time for a thanksgiving feast.
- December 14-Engineer a sleigh to compete in our winter holiday Slush Rush.
Join your fellow engineers to design and build a sleigh to compete in our Winter Holiday Slush Rush. Learn about friction.
$18 each session | $70 for series