Listed below are pedagogical resources, arranged by college and department. When possible, permanent links have been provided for these resources (to access the full text of journal articles (when available), click on the article title, and then on the "PDF Full Text" icon).
- Albitz, R. S. (2007). The What and Who of Information Literacy and Critical Thinking in Higher Education, 7(1), 97-109.
- Bean, John C. Engaging Ideas: The Professor's Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1996. Available at the Randall Library (Call #PE1404 .B35 1996), or in CTE Books Collection (2nd floor Randall Library).
- Burkhardt, J. M. (2007). Assessing Library Skills: A First Step to Information Literacy, 7(1), 25-49.
- Bowers, N. (2006). Instructional Support for the teaching of critical thinking: Looking beyond the red brick walls. [ERIC document number: EJ902856].
- Clear Language Group. (2011). Teaching & Curriculum Development. http://www.clearlanguagegroup.com/services/teaching-curriculum-development/
- Halpern, D. 1999. Teaching for critical thinking: Helping college students develop the skills and dispositions of a critical thinker. New directions for teaching and learning 80, 69-74.
- Hisako, K. (2000). The Use of Cross-Cultural Studies and Experiences as a Way of Fostering Critical Thinking Dispositions Among College Students. The Journal of General Education, 49(2), 110-131.
- Humanities and Social Sciences Online. (2011). H-Net.
- Mazer, J., Hunt, S., & Kuznekoff, J. H. (2007). Revising General Education: Assessing a Critical Thinking Instructional Model in the Basic Communication Course. The Journal of General Education, 56(3-4), 173-199.
- Peirce, W. (2006). Designing Rubrics for Assessing Higher Order Thinking Skills.
- Schafersman, S. (1991). An introduction to critical thinking.
- Swanson, T. A. (2004). A Radical Step: Implementing A Critical Information Literacy Model. Libraries and the Academy, 4(2), 259-273.
- Violet, E. (1940). Developing Critical Thinking through Motion Pictures and Newspapers. The English Journal, 29(4), 301-307.
- Wells, K. (2009). Learning and teaching critical thinking: from a Peircean perspective. Educational Philosophy and Theory 41(2), 201-218.
College of Arts and Sciences
- Herrington, A., & Cadman, C. (1991). Peer Review and Revising in an Anthropology Course: Lessons for Learning. College Composition and Communication 42(2): 184-199.
Art & Art History
- Instructional Strategies (Critical Thinking and Problem Solving), from the Center for Educator Development in Fine Arts
- Desmond, K. Teaching Contemporary Art, from Central Missouri State University
- Festa, A. (2009). Teaching critical thinking to freshman writers by engaging contemporary artists work. Human architeture: Journal of the Sociology of Self-knowledge. 2(1): 115-136.
- Winner, E. (2006). Studio thinking: How visual arts teaching can promote disciplined habits of mind. In P. Locher, C. Martindale, L. Dorfman, and D. Leontiev (Eds), New Directions in Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts: 189-205. Amityville, New York: Baywood Publishing Co.
- Adams, D. Critical thinking, the scientific method, and page 25 of Gilbert.
- Adams, D. (2003). Teaching critical thinking in a developmental biology course at an American liberal arts college. International Journal of Developmental Biology 47: 145-150.
- Arwood, L. (2004). Teaching cell biology to nonscience majors through forensics, or how to design a killer course. Cell Biology Education 3(2): 131-138.
- Berkson, J. (2003). Advocacy, critical thinking, and the classroom. Fisheries 28(9): 23-26.
- Chaplin, S. (2007). A model of student success: Coaching students to develop critical thinking skills in introductory biology courses. International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 1(2): 1-7.
- Chiras, D. (1992). Teaching critical thinking skills in the biology & environmental science classrooms.The American Biology Teacher 54(8): 464-468.
- D'Avanzo, C. (2003). Research on learning: Potential for improving college ecology teaching. Frontiers in Ecology 1(10): 533-540.
- Moll, M., & Allen, R. (1982). Developing critical thinking skills in biology. Journal of College Science Teaching 11: 95- 98.
- Phllips, A., Robertson, A., Batzli, J., Harris, M. & Miller, S. (2008). Aligning goals, assessments, and activities: An approach to teaching PCR and gel electrophoresis. Cell Biology Education 7: 96-106.
- Quitadamo, I., Faiola, C. Johnson, J. Kurtz, M. (2008). Community-based inquiry improves critical thinking in general education biology. Cell Biology Education 7(3): 327-337.
- Sampson, V. & Gerbino, F. (2010). Two instructional models that teachers can use to promote and support scientific argumentation in the biology classroom. American Biology Teacher 72(7): 427-431.
- Zohar, A. & Tamir, P. (1993). Incorporating critical thinking into a regular high school biology curriculum.School Science and Mathematics 93(3): 136-140.
- A bibliography of science teaching pedagogy with an emphasis on chemistry, part V, from Cal State-LA Chemistry Department
- Kogut, L. (1996). Critical thinking in general chemistry. Journal of Chemical Education 73(3): 218-221.
- Minderhout, V., & Loertscher, J. (2007). Lecture free biochemistry: a process oriented guided inquiry approach. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education35(3): 172-180.
- Paulson, D. (1999). Active learning and cooperative learning in the organic chemsitry lecture class. Journal of Chemical Education 76(8): 1136-1140.
- Zoller, U. (1993). Are lecture and learning compatible? Maybe for LOCS: Unlikely for HOCS. Journal of Chemical Education 70(3): 195-197.
- Zoller, U. (2001). Alternative assessments as (critical) means of facilitating HOCS-promoting teaching and learning in chemistry education. Chemistry Education: Research and Practice in Europe 2(1): 9-17.
- Bouhnik, D., & Giat, Y. (2009). Teaching high school students applied logical reasoning. Journal of Information Technology Education, 8.
- Fee, S. & Holland-Minkley, A. (2010). Teaching computer science through problems, not solutions. Computer Science Education 20(2): 129-144.
- Kiniry, M. & Strenski, E. (1985). Sequencing expository Writing: A Recursive Approach. College Composition and Communication 36 (2): 191-202.
- Major, W. (1994). Freewriting: A Means of Teaching Critical Thinking to College Freshman.
- Beach, D. (2000) . Constructing Composition and Critical Thinking. Washington DC: Reading, English, and Communication Clearinghouse. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED445341).
- Bissonette, Melissa B. (2010). Teaching the monster: Frankenstein and Critical Thinking. College Literature 37(3): 106-120.
- Devine, T. (1962). Critical thinking in the English class. Peabody Journal of Education. 39(6): 359-65.
- Downs, D. (2000). Rethinking Dogma: Teaching Critical Thinking in Freshman Composition. Urbana, IL: Reading, English, and Communication Clearinghouse. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED450377)
- Kroll, B. (1992). Reflective Inquiry in a College English Class. Liberal Education, 78(1): 10-14. [ERIC document number: EJ443183].
- Parker, J. (1999). Thinking Critically about Literature. Teaching in Higher Education, 4(4): 473- 482.
- Salibrici, M. (1999). Dissonance and Rhetorical Inquiry: A Burkean Model for Critical Reading and Writing. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 42(8): 628-637.
- Slattery, P. (1990). Encouraging Critical Thinking: A Strategy of Commenting on College Papers. College Composition and Communication 41: 332-335.
- Scott, M. (2000). Student, Critic and Literary Text: A Discussion of Critical Thinking in a Student Essay. Teaching in Higher Education, 5(3): 277-288.
- Chiras, D. (1992). Teaching Critical Thinking Skills in the Biology & Environmental Science Classrooms. The American Biology Teacher 54(8): 464-468.
Foreign Languages and Literature
- Davidson, B.& Dunham, R. (1996). Assessing EFL Student Progress in Critical Thinking with the Ennis-Weir Critical Thinking Essay Test. (ERIC Documentation Reproduction Service No. ED403302).
- Davis, J. (1992). Reading literature in the foreign language: The comprehension/ response connection.The French Review 65(3): 359-370.
- Esplugas, C. & Landwehr, M. (1996). The use of critical thinking skills In literary analysis.Foreign Language Annals, 29: 449-461.
- Terrio, S. (1986). Building critical thinking skills through writing in the foreign language classroom. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED276263)
Geography and Geology
- McConnell, D., Steer, D., & Owens, K. (2003). Assessment and active learning strategies for introductory geology courses. Journal of Geoscience Education 51(2): 205-216.
- Saunders, L., & Rossbach. T. (2007). Teaching critical thinking by comparing terran and martian geology. 56th Annual Meeting- Geological Society of America- Southeastern Section. (Abstract only)
- Sharma, M., & Elbow, G. (2000). Using internet primary sources to teach critical thinking skills in geography. Greenwood Press. (Available as eBook from Randall Library)
- Beyer, B. (2008). How to Teach Thinking Skills in Social Studies and History. Social Studies 99(5): 196-201. [ERIC document number: EJ812507].
- Cole, S. &, Kosc, G. (2010). Quit surfing and start clicking: One professor's effort to combat the problems of teaching the US survey in a large lecture hall. The History Teacher 43(3): 397-410.
- Mitchell, M. (2011). The application of the Integrative Model to teach the formation of the American political parties. History Teacher 44(4): 531-546.
- Mattson, R. (2008). Theatre of the assessed: Drama-based pedagogies in the history classroom. Radical History Review 102: 99-110.
- Reed, J. (1998). Effect of a model on critical thinking on student achievement in primary source document analysis and interpretation, argumentative reasoning, critical thinking dispositions, and history content in a community college history course. PhD dissertation. Univeristy of South Florida.
- Swartz, R. (2008). Teaching students how to analyze and evaluate arguments in history. Social Studies 99(5): 208-216.
- Warren, W., Memory, D., & Bolinger, K. (2004). Improving critical thinking skills in the United States survey course: An activity for teaching the Vietnam War. The History Teacher 37(2), 193-209.
Mathematics and Statistics
- Scheild, M. Statistical Literacy: Thinking critically about statistics.
- Roseth, C., Garfield, J., & Ben-Zvi, D. (2008). Collaboration in learning and teaching. Statistics Journal of Statistics Education, 16(1).
- Writing in music: Assignments that teach critical thinking, from the Arron-Copland School of Music- Queens College.
- Blair, D. (2009). Stepping aside: Teaching in a student-centered music classroom. Music Educators Journal 95(3): 42-45. [ERIC document number: EJ833729].
- Pogonowki, L. (1989). Critical thinking and music listening. Music Educators Journal 76(1): 35-38.
- Smialek, T., & Boburka, R. (2006). The effect of cooperative listening exercises on the critical listening skills of college music-appreciation students. Journal of Research in Music Education, 54(1): 57-72.
Philosophy and Religion
- Ferguson, M. (2008). The use of student feedback on reflection papers to assess critical thinking.
- McDougall, R., & LaMonica, J. (2007). Interdisciplinary education and critical thinking in religion and history: the delivery of two content based linked courses. The Journal of Effective Teaching 7(1): 44-60.
- Phelps, S. (2010). Critical literacy: Using non-fiction to learn about Islam. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy 54(3): 190-198.
- Solvang, E. (2004). Thinking developmentally: The Bible, first-year college student, and diversity. Teaching Theology and Religion 7(4): 223-229.
Physics and Physical Oceanography
- Kalman, C. (2002). Developing critical thinking in undergraduate courses: a philosophical approach. Science and Education, 11: 83-94.
- Popescu, A., & Morgan, J. (2007). Teaching information evaluation and critical thinking skills in physics classes. The Physics Teacher, 45: 507-510.
- Yuretich, R., Khan, S., Leckie, M., & Clement, J. (2001). Active-learning methods to improve student performance and scientific interest in a large introductory oceanography course. Journal of Geoscience Education 49(2): 111-119.
- Astleitner, H. (2002). Teaching critical thinking online. Journal of Instructional Psychology 29 (2): 53-76.
- Dunn, D., Halonen, J., & Smith, R. (Eds.). (2008). Teaching critical thinking in psychology: A handbook of best practices. Wiley-Blackwell, Malden, MA. (Available as eBook from Randall Library)
- Lawson, T. (1999). Assessing psychological critical thinking as a learning outcome for psychology majors. Teaching of Psychology 26: 207-209.[ERIC document number: EJ605777].
Public and International Affairs
Sociology and Criminology
- Baker, P. (1981). Learning sociology and assessing critical thinking. Teaching Sociology 8(3): 325-363.
- Browne, M., & Litwin, J. (1987). Critical thinking in the sociology classroom: Facilitating movement from vague objective to explicit achievement. Teaching Sociology 15(4): 384-391.[ERIC document number: EJ362883].
- Crone, J. (1997). Using panel debates to increase student involvement in the introductory sociology class. Teaching Sociology 25(3): 214-218.
- Geertsen, H. (2003). Rethinking thinking about higher-Level thinking. Teaching Sociology 31(1): 1-19. [ERIC document number: EJ679276].
- Grauerholz, L., & Bouma-Holtrop, S. (2003). Exploring critical sociological thinking. Teaching Sociology 31(4): 485-496
- Green III, C., & Klug, H. (1990). Teaching critical thinking and writing through debates: An experimental evaluation. Teaching Sociology 18(4): 462-471.
- Norman, W. (1991). Students as theorists in a criminology course. Teaching Sociology 19(2): 249-254.
- Fliotsos, A. & Medford, J. (Eds). (2004). Teaching Theatre today: pedagogical views of theatre in higher education.Macmillian Publishing. (Available in Randall Library; Call #PN2078.U6 T33 2009)
College of Health and Human Services
- Kaiser, D. A. (2004). Using reflective journals in athletic training clinical education. Athletic Therapy Today, 9(6): 39-41.
- Walker, S. (2003). Active learning strategies to promote critical thinking. Journal of Athletic Training, 38(3): 263.
Community Health Education
- Dorrington, L. F. (2006). Health liibraries as joint use libraries: Serving medical practitioners and students. Library Trends, 54(4): 596-606.
- Gardin, F. (2010). The "Think-Aloud" method to promote student modeling of expert thinking. Athletic Therapy Today, 15(4): 18-21.
- Kolkhorst, F.,Mason, C.,DiPasquale, D., Patterson, P., & Buono, M. (2001). An inquiry-based learning model for exercise physiology laboratory courses. Advanced Physiology Education 24: 45-50.
- Bulot, J., & Johnson, C. (2006). Rewards and costs of faculty involvement in intergenerational service-learning. Educational Gerontology, 32(8), 633-645.
- Lemieux, A., & Martinez, M. (2000). Gerontogogy beyond words: A reality. Educational Gerontology, 26(5), 475-498.
- Singelis, T. (2006). Active learning in aging research. Educational Gerontology, 32(7), 553-564.
- Alsop, J., & Bergart, R. (2007). Aerobics and library instruction-An unexpected fit. College and Undergraduate Libraries, 14(3): 121-126.
- Chen, W. (2001). Description of an expert teacher's constructivist-oriented teaching: Engaging students' critical thinking in learning creative dance. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 72(4): 366-375.
- Eldar, E., & Shiri, A. (2009). Educating through the physical - Rationale. Education and Treatment of Children, 32(3): 471-486.
- McBride, R. (2004). If you structure it, They will learn. Clearing House, 77(3): 114-117.
Recreation, Sport Leadership, and Tourism Management
- Creese, J. (2011). Self- and cohort-directed design in research training tutorials for undergraduate researchers: Increasing qwnership and relevance to improve learning outcomes.Journal of Academic Leadership 37(4): 327-332.
- Starr, G., & Glaskill, P. (1997). The community study assignment for leisure studies: Integrating information literacy, leisure theory, and critical thinking. Research Strategies, 15(3): 205-216.
- Hsu, L. (2004). Moral thinking, sports rules and education. Sport, Education & Society, 9(1): 143-153.
- Zakus, D., Malloy, D., & Edwards, A. (2007). Critical and ethical thinking in sport management: Philosophical rationales and examples of methods. Sport Management Review 10(2): 133-158.
- Thompson, C. (2010). Teaching critical thinking to nurses in a Ugandan hospital. Home Health Care Management & Practice, 22(5): 319-324.
- Foundation for Critical Thinking. (2011). Critical Thinking and the Health Care Professions, link to workshop.
- Brown, H., & Sorrell, J. (1993). Use of clinical journals to enhance critical thinking.Nurse Educator. 18(5): 16-19.
- The Critical Thinking Community: Nursing and Health Care. Foundation for Critical Thinking, 2011.
- McAllister, M. (2003). Doing practice differently: Solution-focused nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 41(6): 528-535.
- McCarthy, D., & Bowers, B. (1994). Implementation of writing-to-learn in a program of nursing. Nurse Educator,19(3): 32-5.
- Making Learning Real with Problem-Based Case Learning. Nashville State Technical Community College and WGBH Educational Foundation. 2011.
- Pinkava, B., & Haviland, C. (1984). Teaching writing and thinking skills Nursing Outlook, 32(5): 270-272. [ERIC document number: EJ307986].
- Information Literacy: Teaching. Stanford School of Medicine, 2011.
- Müller, B. (2009). Teaching social work is teaching to ask questions: An inter-subjective approach to social work practice. Journal of Social Work Practice, 23(2), 147-157.
- Meyer, M. (2007). Globalization and social work education: Evaluation of student learning in a macro practice class. Social Work Education, 26(3): 247-260.
- Pullen-Sansfacon, A. (2010). Virtue ethics for social work: A new pedagogy for practical reasoning. Social Work Education, 29(4): 402-415.
- Saleebey, D., & Scanlon, E. (2005). Is a critical pedagogy for the profession of social work possible? Journal of Teaching in Social Work, 25(3/4): 1-18.
Cameron School of Business
- Stone, D., & Shelley, M. (1997). Educating for accounting expertise: A field study. Journal of Accounting Research,35, 35-61.
- Danvers, K., & Brown, C. (2009). Out-West Products, Inc.: A financial modeling and decision analysis case. Journal of Accounting Information, 27(1): 40-57.
- Day, M., Kaidonis, M., & Perrin, R. (2003). Reflexivity in learning critical accounting: Implications for teaching and its research nexus.Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 14(5): 597-614.
- Murphy, E., & Hoeppner, C. (2002). Using technology and library resources in financial accounting courses. Journal of Accounting Education, 20(4): 331-346.
- Association of College & Research Libraries. (1989). Presidential Committee on Information Literacy: Final Report.
- Becker, W., & Watts, M. (1995). Teaching tools: Teaching methods in undergraduate economics. Economic Inquiry, 33(4): 692.
- Bartlett, R., & King, P. (1990). Teaching economics as a laboratory science. The Journal of Economic Education, 21(2) 181-193.
Entrepreneurship and Business Development
- Association of College & Research Libraries. 1989. Presidential Committee on Information Literacy: Final Report.
- Making Learning Real with Problem-Based Case Learning, from Nashville State Technical Community College and WGBH Educational Foundation, 2011.
Intercultural Communication: a Teaching and Learning Framework, from Centre for Languages Linguistics & Area Studies, 2002.
Management and Leadership
- Elliott, C. (2008). Emancipating assessment: Assessment assumptions and critical alternatives in an experience-based programme. Management Learning, 39(3): 271-293.
- Smith, M., & Robbins, J. (1991). Marketing education and marketing management: Some thoughts on compatibility and integration. Journal of Marketing Education, 13(3): 33-39.
- Elliott, C. (2008). Emancipating assessment: Assessment assumptions and critical alternatives in an experience-based programme. Management Learning, 39(3): 271-293.
- Heriot, K., Cook, R., Jones, R., & Simpson, L. (2008). The use of student consulting projects as an active learning pedagogy: A case study in a production/operations management course.Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, 6(2): 463-481.