Experience what it's like to be a second language learner, immersed in a new culture and school. Experience not only learning a language, but learning new cultural mores, learning new concepts in a new language, and experience what it's like to be an eager, but struggling learner. Live in Spanish-speaking homes and experience the Latino family life and culture. Visit and teach in local schools, participate in service learning projects, take 60 hours of Spanish in 3 1/2 weeks and experience a green, caring, peaceful country. Grad and undergrads, come to COSTA RICA!
EDN 592/455: International Field Experience in Education
Instructor: Dr. Debbie Powell; (3-6 sem. hrs.); Register: Summer I
Course focuses on: gaining empathy for ELLs and all struggling learners; reflecting on teaching and learning strategies,understanding learning and the role of experience. The course will also aid students in better appreciating the needs of families living in poverty, Latino family life, and Latino culture. Throughout the course, students will reflect on the role of engagement in learning.
Program Activity and Features
- Take 60 hours of intensive Spanish instruction---small class sizes (2-4 students)
- Visit and teaching in schools in Heredia and Monteverde
- Live with Spanish-speaking host families for 3 weeks
- Reflect on yourself as a struggling learner
- View itinerary
Heredia and Monteverde, Costa Rica for a total of 22 days
One week in Heredia, Costa Rica, a safe and peaceful community with few tourists, and 2 1/2 weeks in Monteverde, a unique community set in a world-famous Costa Rican cloud forest. Costa Rica is the safest, most economically and politically stable country in Latin America.
Some of the Excursions we'll visit:
- LaPaz Waterfall Gardens
- Poas Volcano and Arenal Volcano
- National Museum and National Theatre in San Jose
- Manuel Antonio National Park, a Pacific Beach
- St. Elena Reserve in the Cloud forest & Canopy tour via zipline
- LaCarpio, this will change you forever!
May 15 - June 5, 2016
Application Deadline: January 9, 2016
- Watson COE Application due to Debbie Powell by November 25.
- Full application to Office of International Programs Deadline: January 9, 2016, including $500 non-refundable deposit (OIP Applications are available online at: www.uncw.edu/intrprogs/SummerProgams.html)
- Flights Booked by Jan. 15, 2015
- At least a partial payment due March 2 (program fees will appear on your university bill)
- Remaining Balance due April 8
To apply, you must be an education or related field major with at least a Sophomore standing at time of participation and must be admitted to the WCE for Fall 2015. Graduate, MAT and Undergraduate students are welcome. Must be in good judicial standing. An interview with instructors and an additional application are required. Must have GPA at time of application of 2.5. Must be able to hike 3-5 miles. Must be a learner who is not afraid to try new things!
Cost: Estimated Program Fee
Program Fees include: Airfare, meals, home stays for 3 weeks, laundry, Spanish classes, cultural classes, medical insurance, shared room in 4 and 5-star hotels for 3 weekends, welcome and farewell dinners, all excursions, expert guides, all ground transportation, exit tax, baggage and airport transfers.
Additional Costs: (not included in the program fee)
UNCW Tuition: for 3-6 credits
There is a possibility to sign up for 3 hours credit for the Immersion Experience with UNCW and pay and complete the extra requirements for 3 hours of Spanish through New Mexico State University. Inquire about this option.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Federal and state financial aid may be applied toward this program. Even if you are normally ineligible for financial aid, you should submit a financial aid application (FAFSA). You may find that you are eligible for additional funding. UNCW students may also apply for a UNCW Summer Education Abroad Grant and additional study abroad scholarships. Grant applications and additional information are available a www.uncw.edu/intprogs/abroad-financialaid.htm.
- Walking in the Shoes of an English Language or Struggling Learner - Summer 2013
- 5-Week Internship in Costa Rica - Fall 2013
Want to see what it's like? Check out our students' Belize Blogs!
Space is limited to 15! Don't delay!