English as a Foreign Language
(ESL Minor without licensure)

Students (English or Foreign Language majors) who will not apply to the Watson College through the licensure-only track.

There are many companies and schools outside the United States that employ native speakers of English as teachers. This field is increasingly more competitive and is called English as a Foreign Language (EFL). While it used to be that any native English speaker could land a job relatively easily, this is not the case so much anymore. Depending on the country you wish to teach in, you often do not have to have a degree in Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language (TESL/TEFL). However, having the ESL Minor on your transcript will make you more marketable when applying for jobs. Students who wish to pursue an ESL Minor may do so by applying directly to the ESL program.

Students who do not plan to teach in US K-12 schools

UNCW students who do not plan to teach in public schools in the United States and will not apply for any teaching certification in North Carolina may take the ESL Add-on courses. Students need to submit an application.

UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by: education@uncw.edu