PDS Partner Information
The Professional Development System in the Watson College of Education serves as the foundation of our academic programs. Our PDS boasts a collaborative network of P-12 school partners and university faculty working collaboratively to provide exemplary field and internship experiences for WCE pre-service teachers. Our pre-service teachers are provided the opportunity to:
- Participate in numerous field experiences in addition to a 600 hour internship in a PDS Tier 2 partnership school
- Intern in the classrooms of partnership teachers who have completed professional development in the Cognitive Coaching model of learner-centered supervision and are committed to ongoing professional development provided during PDS Professional Learning Days and advanced coaching workshops
- Participate in inquiry, action research, community service, and other applied learning experiences
- Participate in on-site seminars conducted by site coordinators who serve as university liaisons in each of our partnership school sites
- Participate in on-going support as a beginning teachers through the First Years of Teaching Support Program
PDS school system partners are an integral part of our comprehensive university-school partnership and align efforts and resources for the improvement of education for students in southeastern North Carolina. Formal contractual agreements are signed every three years with the WCE Dean, UNCW Chancellor and Board of Trustees and the twelve school system superintendents and their board of education. Partnership teachers, site coordinators, and PDS school administrators, along with university faculty, participate in required training designed to provide opportunities to gain new understandings and professional skills necessary to the accomplishment of PDS goals. School system partners engage in collaborative research and grant initiatives that relate to school performance and other education issues that address critical needs of North Carolina educators. Use the menu to the left to learn about PDS partner roles.