This page will answer:
- What is University Studies and where can I find the requirements?
- Why do I need to take University Studies courses?
- What English course do I place into?
- How can I take the Foreign Language or Math Placement Exam?
- Should I sign up for courses in which I already have credit?
- What classes should potential Athletic Training, Nursing, Biology, Chemistry or Pre-Health majors take?
- How many credit hours is PED 101?
University Studies Core
CLICK HERE FOR THE UNIVERSITY STUDIES CHECK SHEET. You can use the next or previous buttons on the video to skip to different categories.
- Students should not sign up for any courses in which they already have credit. Please think about all of your AP/IB/CLEP and college credit accumulated before registering for courses. Also, have all of your colleges transcripts sent officially from the school and test scores from the College Board.
- 2015 Linked Courses
- ENGLISH INFORMATION
- If you’ve already taken ENG 101, you can take ENG 103 in the Spring if you placed into 103. ENG 200 or 201 is usually taken during your sophomore year. This means that you may not have an English class in the Fall, which is normal.
- English Course Placement is dependent on your SAT or ACT score.
- Students with a score of 610 or greater on the SAT Verbal (27 on the ACT English) will sign up for ENG 103.
- All other students sign up for ENG 100 or ENG 101.
- MATH INFORMATION
- The Math Placement Exam is offered at Orientation. Click here for more information about the Math Placement Exam.
- If you took a Math course in the Fall and plan to take a higher-level math in the Spring for your major, the course from the Fall must be posted on your UNCW transcript in order for you to register for the next course. Therefore, you may not be able to register for a math during Early-Registration.
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE INFORMATION
- The Foreign Language Placement Exam can be taken online before Orientation.
- If you took a Foreign Language course in the Fall and plan to take a higher-level course in the Spring, the course from the Fall must be posted on your UNCW transcript in order for you to register for the next course. Therefore, you may not be able to register for a foreign language during early-registration.
- Foreign Language courses at the 101 level are only available to students who DID NOT take this language in high school. For example, if you took Spanish in high school, you are not eligible for SPN 101.
- SPECIAL NOTE FOR PRE-HEALTH, ATHLETIC TRAINING, BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY AND NURSING MAJORS
- Most classes are either three or four hours, however, PED 101 is a 2-credit hour course.
- Major Program Sheets show you all courses needed for your particular major click here